Cigarette Smoke is a Public Health Problem
With over 440,000 tobacco-related death, each year, smoking is the leading cause of preventable death and disability in the United States, yet one out of every four American adults is a smoker.
The costs to employers for tobacco-related medical treatment, early death and disability, lost work time, and decreased productivity are staggering.
Benefits of Quitting
- CDCís Office on Smoking and Health reports that even heavy, long-term smokers can realize health benefits from quitting.
- Employers save money when smokers quit smoking. The American Lung Association conservatively estimates that an employee who smokes costs the employer $1,000 per year vs. a comparable level non-smoking employee.
FOH Smoking Cessation Programs
FOH smoking cessation program has helped hundreds of federal employees quit tobacco. The most popular FOH Smoking Cessation Program (the NRT program) includes:
- A smoking history and evaluation during a personal intake/counseling interview
- Participants are guided in generating a personalized, written quit plan
- A four week supply of nicotine patches or nicotine gum are provided
- Participants may return to their health center to receive follow-up counseling, support, and problem-solving assistance.
Key FOH Smoking Cessation Program Advantages:
- Simple to initiate and administer
- Appeals to all demographic groups
- Available anywhere in USA
- Great cost/benefit ratio. The NRT program costs only $140 per person
- Designed from the ground up for the government workplace
- Emphasis on increased utilization of EAP services, which is very important since many smokers need assistance with substance abuse or mental health problems in order to sustain a long-term quit.
Other suggested Internet resources:
Read the Surgeon Generalís 2006 Report on Smoking
Click here to view questions and answers about FOHís Smoking Cessation programs
- Click here for an online guide to quitting and contact information to experts that can help
- Click here for information on controlling your weight while you quit smoking
- Click here to learn the reasons that you smoke and the best way to quit